Keep Knoxville Beautiful is now accepting nominations from the public for its beautification awards, the Orchids. Since 1979, Keep Knoxville Beautiful has presented Orchid Awards to Knoxville and Knox County buildings and outdoor spaces that beautify and elevate the local landscape.
Orchid Awards will be granted in the following six categories:
- New Architecture
- Outdoor Space (Parks, Patios, Rooftop Gardens, Neighborhoods, etc.)
- Public Art (Murals, Sculptures, Signage, etc.)
- Environmental Stewardship (Properties that incorporate renewable materials, energy efficiency, LEED certification and/or other sustainable building practices)
Anyone can nominate a location or outdoor public artwork by completing a simple online form on Keep Knoxville Beautiful’s website, keepknoxvillebeautiful.org, or by calling the office at 865-521-6957. Private residences are not considered for this award. Properties that received an Orchid Award since 2008 are ineligible, except in cases of major renovations. For a list of previous winners, visit the Keep Knoxville Beautiful website. Nominations are due by Friday, December 18, 2017.
Keep Knoxville Beautiful will announce the winners of the beautification awards at the annual Orchids Awards Dinner on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:00 at The Standard, 416 W. Jackson Avenue.
For more information, contact Keep Knoxville Beautiful at email@example.com.
About Keep Knoxville Beautiful
Founded in 1978 to help “clean up” prior to the 1982 World’s Fair, Keep Knoxville Beautiful is a local non-profit with a mission to promote a cleaner, greener, and more beautiful community. We pursue this by:
- Educating students and the public about waste-prevention, litter, recycling, and environmental stewardship
- Facilitating and supporting litter pickups that make our roads and local waterways cleaner
- Creating and protecting murals and hosting beautification mobs to make Knoxville a more beautiful and interesting place to live and visit
During 2016-2017, we
- Facilitated or supported 61 litter pickups
- Collected 55,615 pounds of litter
- Planted 18,000+ daffodil and tulip bulbs
- Reached 1,255 kids with our presentations
- Used our recycling trailer and recycling bins to provide recycling for 10 large events
- Worked with 1,542 volunteers
- Facilitated 4,108 volunteer hours
To learn more about Keep Knoxville Beautiful, visit keepknoxvillebeautiful.org